My daughter Clare with Santa

Last week, I took Friday off to do some Christmas shopping. I happened to walk past the mall Santa who was sitting alone on his red throne with his mask half-dangling beneath his snowy white beard.

A young family was just leaving, and I thought how sad it was that he was sitting there all alone. Usually there would be a line-up a mile long to see him, and I shouted, "Hi Santa" and gave him a big wave on the way by.

I started thinking about all the COVID Santas. Most of these guys are in their 70s, putting their health at risk letting tiny unvaccinated toddlers and babies sit on their lap to keep a time-honoured tradition alive and create special memories for their families.

We always knew Santa was a hero, but this year he's earning his black buckled belt in kindness.

This week's #HappyAct is to thank everyone who dons a red suit this time of year to make a child smile. Thanks Santa! (And if it's not too much trouble, if you can add to your list an end to COVID in 2022, that would be great!)


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more