I was scrolling on Facebook yesterday and someone had made a comment that they waited until the last minute to buy a garter for Homecoming, which is coming up this week.

Just reading that post made me anxious. I felt a knot in my stomach, and I felt a tightness in my chest. I don't have kids old enough for Homecoming. I think I have one mom friend with a kid in high school. I have no skin in the game, as my dad would say, but it freaked me out nonetheless. The words "last minute" were enough to get me ruminating about chores or tasks I have to get done.

I never do anything last minute, ever. I prepare for events months in advance. For instance, I already have Hanukkah presents for my kids and enough holiday decorations to fill a museum. When my kids have a party or start school, everything is purchased and organized in advance. Not only that, but I mentally rehearse every situation I'm in and even practice what I'm going to say (i.e. during a dinner party). Don't get me started on last minute plans.

When the pandemic hit we didn't run out of toilet paper because I had already stocked that, paper towels and hygiene items. I have enough toothpaste to last a couple of years.

That's anxiety for you. I'm practically a doomsday prepper the way I prepare for things and worry. One, I don't know when a depressive episode will hit so I make sure my family has everything we need. Two, preparing for things in advance gives me a sense of control. It feels like I'm not in control when it comes to anxiety, so the only thing I can do is just work around it.

I recently read that there's a purpose for anxiety, that it helps us deal with stress and meant to sharpen our minds to the flight-or-fight response, meaning it protects us from danger and allows us to react faster to emergencies and alert us to potential threats, according to MentalHealth.org.uk

That's all fine and good, but I feel that's speaking to normal anxiety that everyone faces, not a condition like 40 million other Americans and I who have an anxiety disorder. Not-so-fun fact: About 7 percent of children ages 3-17 experience issues with anxiety each year. Most people develop symptoms before the age of 21, according to the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). These are also outdated numbers; I imagine they'll be much higher because of the pandemic.

For those with this condition can be such a burden or hinderance to everyday life. I experience intrusive thoughts along with my anxiety which basically means terrible thoughts invade my mind, and I can't do much to stop it. I get panic attacks. I worry about stupid things like lightbulbs burning out and the air in my tires. I worry about things I've done and said in the past. I worry about loved ones dying and making mistakes in my writing. I worry way too much about my weight and what people think of me. But that's the "anxiety version" of me. The real Heather doesn't care what people think. She's easy going and preps to make sure her family has everything they need — not fueled by anxiety but out of love and diligence.

As I'm typing this I'm starting to see that there are advantages of having anxiety. It does ensure I'm ready for every possible scenario. My house is already decorated for the holidays, and I won't have to rush to get gifts this year. My family has everything they need and that's because I work hard to give them the life they deserve.

That and I'm certainly not going to run out of toothpaste anytime soon.