I really wanted to have a butterfly birthday party, but I was worried about it being too pastel and spring for an October party. It turned out to be a pretty sunny and warm day in Nashville that weekend, and most of my decorations were indoors, so it turned out great! I do think that this party would probably have looked even brighter and vibrant if it had been in the spring, with lots of flowers everywhere!

Supplies:

These decorations were simple and took some assembly.

Focal Point/ Photo back drop

First, I took the curtain off our curtain rod on our big kitchen window and replace it with the fringe backdrop curtain. It had a sticky tape strip along the top, but I ended up just clipping it in my curtain rings.

Next, I made the pink balloon arch the night before so it'd be ready to go! It was pretty easy to inflate the balloons and then push the knots through the clear strip with holes that came with the balloon kit. I also used double-sided sticky dots to stick some spare balloons to the arch to fill it out in certain places. I recommend waiting until the morning of the party to add those extra balloon fillers, because they tend to shift with moving air and gravity.

Then I cut the butterflies off the butterfly garland and used double-sided sticky dots to stick them to the fringe of the backdrop, and some to the balloons, so they looked like they were "flying!" (Don't stick the butterflies to the balloons until the morning of! They will shift some overnight if not! We had a lot on the floor the next morning.)

I also made a ribbon garland and just taped it to the underside of the highchair tray.

Butterfly birthday party
Butterfly focal point
Ribbon garland on the highchair
Butterfly birthday party
Focal window decor for butterfly birthday

Butterfly Cake

We got the cake from Baked on 8th in Nashville, TN.

Butterfly birthday party cake
Butterfly Birthday Cake

Menu

  • Chicken Nuggest from Chic-fil-a
  • Tomato, Mozzerela, and Basil salad on a toothpick
  • Pasta salad
  • Mini burger sliders
  • Fruit
  • Pink lollipops (Which everyone chose cake over these!)
  • M&M Cookies
Butterfly birthday party food

I saved money by using plain pink paper plates and napkins, instead of personalizing those.

birthday party bar

Outdoor Decor

I also made some butterflies on garden posts from Lowe's. I hot glued a popsicle stick to the back of the butterfly wings for support, and then hot glued the wings and some ribbon to the top of the stick to have butterflies "flying" outside on the front porch to greet people as they were coming in.

butterfly outdoor decorations

1 Year Banner

I made the one-year banner home made with scrapbook paper cutouts, glue, and ribbon! You can purchase these from Etsy though if you don't have time to make it!

Photos

Family affair
Kiddie wings were a hit!