Tuesday, May 10, 2022

When Your Kid Asks, ‘Mama, Did You Get Fat?’

 
 
Scary Mommy
May 10, 2022
 
 
FAMILY PHOTOS
When Your Kid Asks, 'Mama, Did You Get Fat?'
 
I'm very pleased today to have an excerpt on Scary Mommy from Angela Garbes' powerful new book Essential Labor: Mothering As Social Change. And I'm particularly happy to have this lovely section, about one of those moments where you have to balance your own complicated feelings with what you want to teach your kids. In this case, she pulled out a honeymoon photo of herself and her husband, and her daughter asked, frank and curious: "Mama, did you get fat?"

She only had a split second to think about her answer: "I look down at my stomach. It is fat. I've done a good job, though, I think. To my girls, fat is just fat, an adjective. It's only me who brings judgment to it. Suddenly, before I can ruin the moment by speaking, they are on me, kissing my stomach, resting their faces on it, petting it, squealing." Give it a read – I'll be thinking about her daughter singing "My only Mama, my squishy Mama" for a long time. 

— Kelly Faircloth, Executive Editor
 
Read More
 
 
 
Latest
 
 
PERFECTLY IMPERFECT
My House is Kind of Falling Apart — And I'm Okay with That
 
"There are dozens of small, annoying things in our home that seem to be broken — or at least half-working. And I'm in no rush to fix them." Read More
 
 
THE 411
These Parents Share What It's Like To Raise A Baby Without Gender
 
"I never wanted my children to live in a world where they feel pressured to fit into the mold society set for them." Read More
 
 
SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT
How Do You Tell Your Tween Or Teen They Smell Bad?
 
"My firstborn liked showers, but my baby, not so much. When I point out that he could probably use a shower, he turns a deaf ear half the time. Teens can literally tune out the sound of Mom's voice." Read More
 
 
Featured
 
 
Presented by Curateur
CURATEUR Offers Discounts On Fashion, Home, & Beauty Items
 
For avid shoppers, there's no better feeling than when you purchase an item on sale or for a discounted price. Unless you're tracking said product 24/7, however, it can be difficult to find the best values on your favorite pieces. This is where CURATEUR's premiere shopping membership comes in handy. The lifestyle brand launched a platform where you can shop Rachel Zoe-vetted products (across home, fashion, and beauty) at exclusive prices. We're talking up to 60% discounts on hundreds of products, and earnings of $120 in annual rewards, which you can then use on curateur.com. For Scary Mommy readers, get 25% off your first purchase with the code VIP25.
 
redeem now
 
What Mommy Wants - Shop Now
 
 
Curateur
 
Cozy Vibes Set
 
 
$193 $85
 
SHOP NOW
 
 
Curateur
 
Gold Accents Set
 
 
$508 $105
 
SHOP NOW
 
 
Curateur
 
Date Night Set
 
 
$530 $175
 
SHOP NOW
 
 
Curateur
 
Nighttime Routine Set
 
 
$286 $85
 
SHOP NOW
 
 
Featured
 
 
STAGES
9 Is A Weird Age. Here's What I've Learned.
 
The tween years are weird – they're not little kids anymore, but they're not grown, either. Today Samm Burnham Davidson is reflecting on this in-between stage and how she's shifted the way she connects with her son: "Long gone are afternoons in the sandbox, rides on my shoulders, and rice-covered bed sheets. In a slow transition, without me even actively realizing, he went from a baby in my arms to a big kid by my side," she writes. "He isn't quite as keen on a mother-son cuddle session as I would like him to be. So, we do other stuff — often as equal participants." Maybe you can relate?
 
REGISTER NOW
 
 
What We're Reading
 
My Therapist Mothers Me Like No One Else Can
So, You Cheated And Want to Repair Your Relationship. Avoid These 7 Big Mistakes.
What It Takes to Get America's Moms What We Need
 
You're receiving this email because you signed up to receive communications from BDG Media. If you believe this has been sent to you in error, please safely unsubscribe.

315 Park Ave. South, New York, NY 10010

Copyright 2022 BDG Media, Inc. All rights reserved.

View in browser

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hate Throwing My Kids’ Birthday Parties

Please no. Sep. 18, 2024 South_agency/E+/Getty Images please no more I Hate Throwing My Kids' Birthday Parties Today, Ashley Zie...