Thursday, September 15, 2022

Why I Love Buying Used Clothing

Hi read,

This week's email is a bit different. But as the leaves start to change here in Colorado, I've been refreshing my wardrobe.

I'm not cheap exactly. I do like nice clothes and outdoor gear. I do NOT like paying full price.

I've been buying secondhand clothes for a couple of years now, and here are the things I would and would not recommend buying used.

Here are the types of clothes I buy used:

1) Office Clothes: YES

I really like MM LaFleur's simple office clothes. They have a robust secondhand marketplace that I have had good luck with. Office clothes usually are lightly used. The secondhand market also has plenty of new with tags items that have been sitting in a closet since the start of the pandemic.

2) Outdoor Shorts, Pants, T-Shirts, and Fleece: YES

I like Arcteryx and Patagonia used clothing. I have bought all of the items listed above used and have been extremely happy.

3) Jackets and Vests with Synthetic Insulation: YES

I have bought a number of items with synthetic insulation and these have held up well. The synthetic insulation doesn't seem to shift and compress like down does.

4) Running and Hiking Shoes: YES

Athletic shoes get beat up anyway, so I don't mind buying shoes used. Initially I was concerned about getting shoes with compressed cushion, but the options on REI's used site have been in good condition. I have bought at least 5 pairs of shoes used from REI and have been happy with all of them. This is a GREAT way to try different shoes without spending full price. It's also an awesome solution if you have a growing child who wears adult sized shoes.

5) Kids Clothes: YES

I love buying kids clothes and gear used when I can. They grow so fast that I hate to buy new. There are fewer options for used kids' stuff but I've found some gems from Patagonia used gear.

Here are the things I do not buy used:

1) Waterproof Outdoor Clothing: NO

Waterproofing wears down over time as a garment is used. When I buy a raincoat or ski shell, I want it to be DRY. I buy these new (usually on sale).

2) Down Garments: NO

Down compresses over time and loses warmth. It needs to be washed and fluffed occasionally. I have not been able to fully revive my used down garments to 100% warmth. I recommend buying these new.

3) Dress Shoes: NO

I personally do not buy dress shoes secondhand. This is mostly because there is less flexibility in sizing for dress shoes and I want the option to return. Also, dress shoes are usually worn with bare feet and that kinda grosses me out. (For some reason, I don't mind the idea of used shoes that people have worn with socks.)

Here are some sites I frequently used to buy secondhand items. (I have no affiliation with any of these.)

Patagonia Worn Wear

Arc'teryx ReGear

REI Used (REI Co-Op Members Only)

MM. Lafleur Second Act

Hope this is helpful! I like saving money and helping the environment, and I want to help others do so too.

Best,

Beth @ PL



Unsubscribe | 113 Cherry St #92768, Seattle, WA 98104-2205

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stealing the Limelight, Elections & Truth

Empiricism usurped in the 21st century by ideology as represented by the lamentable Kamala Harris Kamala - stealing limelight,...